[Dshield] OT Curiosity question

Bo Nordgren bo at nordgren.net
Fri Dec 23 10:26:05 GMT 2005

I feel I have to add a little something to this.

The fiber is being deployed in western and eastern european countries but it depends highly on how internet friendly the government is and how the people view it.
Two examples of countries that have projects pulling fiber into peoples houses is the Netherlands and Sweden. Dutch authorities make it a point of pulling fiber out and you can get a subsidie that covers the installation and first year of service. You even get a cheap monthly fee of about 25 euros after that. Speed is usualy 10/10 and is without to much congestion.
Sweden have several players but generaly tend to deliver fiber only to apartment blocks were you get either 10 or 100 at home. ADSLv2 is deployed in major cities and that is theoreticaly 24/3 (not sure about the upstream).

A contrast to the highly connected countries we have the dutch neigbour Belgium that still enforces bandwith limits on ALL internetconnections. Lately internet speeds available via cable are up to 6/768k or 8/1 and ADSL of 4/1 is available.
The UK is testing ADSLv2 but that is a bit off still. They have a maximum of 4/1 on ADSL and I have no clue what cable is like.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Belgian limitations now that people are starting to do petitions to skip limits and just have fair use policys.

// Regards, Bo Nordgren

B.t.w. Merry Christmas, Prettige Kerstmis, God Jul, happy Hannuka and all the others.