[Dshield] He has been captured - Possible Virus Email

Ed Truitt ed.truitt at etee2k.net
Fri Jun 3 02:35:37 GMT 2005

Karen Gispanski wrote:

>Has anyone received emails claiming Osama Bin Laden has been captured?  Some subject lines read He has been captured and others read Glod Bless America!
>It has a attachment pictures.zip.

Yeah -- this one has been around for awhile.  According to "Urban
Legends Reference" (http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/osama.asp), it
will install a trojan on your machine if you open it, utilizing an IE
vulnerability.  The   Symantec calls it "Download.Trojan", McAfee calls
it "backdoor-azu".  One of my machines was hit with this one -- it is
nasty, installing all types of p0rn dialers, and other assorted
unpleasantries.

--

---
Cheers,