[Dshield] Is Mytob that bad?!?

Tom dshield at oitc.com
Sun Jun 5 19:10:10 GMT 2005

Stef,

Symantec says:

Name of attachment: Varies with a .bat, .cmd, .exe, .pif, .scr, or
.zip file extension.

Now why would anyone any more accept naked .bat, .cmd, .exe, .pif,
.scr files as attachments or even those files in a zip?

We routinely block all those and more either standalone or
encapsulated in a zip or a rar. Therefore, we never see nor have to
deal with outbreaks like these and yet blocking as we do, we have
never had any issues that would cause us to even consider shutting
down mail.

Although I find UPS' position of shutting down mail as an IT
department in over-reactive mode, it does point out that solely
relying on running AV systems on your incoming mail is bound to be
problematic as the virus can always get to you before a detection
fingerprint can be built and then distributed and then finally
deployed.  Plugging the vectors (eg .pif, .scr, etc.) is much safer.

Tom