[Dshield] Is Mytob that bad?!?

Mary Copeland mrcj at adelphia.net
Mon Jun 6 12:53:12 GMT 2005

> So do we, adding also multi-layer anti-virus software - but
> preventative solutions was not the intent of my question. My question
> was directed toward those who may have experienced or at least known
> something in the Mytob, different than anything else ever seen before,
> that could have justified/caused such a(n over) reaction.
>
> Stef

My experience taught me a good lesson ... to trust Zone Alarm ...  and it
appears that  .txt items in a .zip file are no longer safe.

I use Spamcop to filter all my email, and when a message appeared to come
FROM Spamcop with a title that my account would be suspended, I wondered why
... The attachment on the message was titled    i n f o - t e x t . zm9

Knowing that .zm9 attachments are quarantined by Zone Alarm, I checked what
was in the attachment.  Since it was a   .txt   file I thought it was
harmless ...

Then Zone Alarm blocked all the emails it that suddenly tried to be sent.
Allowing Zone Alarm to block the emails going out saved me ...

So ... for what it's worth ...
That's my experience with  Mytob

Mary