[Dshield] Is Mytob that bad?!?

David Vincent support at sleepdeprived.ca
Thu Jun 9 05:41:14 GMT 2005

Hi Eric!

Rest assured my system is clean.  In my professional life I'm the guy
people call about these things.  :)   What with the irony of the
situation and the timing of the emails, I just had to mail the list and
send a shout out to those who made a difference.

There is more to my story of the cleanup, I simplified things a little
for the list.  Mostly the usual stuff, checking for connections to
suspicious servers with TCPView (great tip, Foundstone's Vision works
too), full system scan with different antivirus engines and signature
updates (symantec online scans, trendmicro online scans, etc for full
paranoia relief), checks for new registry keys launching programs on
startup (sysinternals' autoruns, or the "silent runners" script are my
suggestions), all's good here.

Good advice for the greener members of the list though, and anyone out
there who's lurking and taking notes.  We both know no matter how many
times this sort of thing is said, it cannot be said enough.  More and
more people everyday are discovering that surfing the net etc. means you
need to think about security.  Then some of them even start turning to
resources like this list for answers and education.  And most of them
never check the archives.  :)

-d