[Dshield] Is Mytob that bad?!?

Stephane Grobety security at admin.fulgan.com
Thu Jun 9 12:41:51 GMT 2005

Hello,

I mostly concure with David, here: a PKI system, preverably one that
make use of some key escrow, is probably the best way to do it.

As for perenity of data, there is one schema that works well: instead
of securing your data for 100 years, pick a scheme that secures it for
5-10 years. That a length of time you can make prediction about the
evolution in cryptography without being sure to fall extremely out of
mark. Once that period of time has expired, re-encrypt the data with
what is the new security level for 5-10 years.

Now, the clever part is that you don't decrypt and re-encrypt your data
store: you crypt the ciphertext. And to avoid having to hold all the
keys, once you reach the second iteration, you simply add the "old"
private key to the new archive. Since you need the key of the
intermediary encryption scheme to unlock the initial archive, you can
still guarantee that no one can access the original data.

Of course, this only works for data you wil seldom ever need to access
as deciphering it could be quite long.

Good luck,
Stephane

--