[Dshield] Trendmicro Venting

Holmes, Alan AHolmes at FSC.Follett.com
Thu Jun 9 15:38:14 GMT 2005

For TrendMicro I think 11 hours is WAY slow.  By Symantec and other AV
vendors, 11 hours is fast.  I use TrendMicro at home and am always pleased
to see that they normally have patterns released within 4-hours of a new
threat discovery.

Symantec, which we use at work, sometimes takes more than a day.

What really sucks about that is, like clockwork, any time Trend elevates an
email borne threat to "Medium," we have about 45-90 minutes until we start
receiving those viruses at work.  We hold our breath every time hoping
Symantec comes out with definitions quickly.

(Of course, we also update email filters and whatnot to catch the messages
if subject lines, message body, or attachment name all are known
quantities.)

So, in my book, 11 hours is slow.

Alan

-----
Joel Esler Said:

11 hours?  I don't know the standards for virus definition release, but..
is 11 hours slow?

On 6/9/05, Paul Marsh <pmarsh at nmefdn.org> wrote:
> I normally don't complain about things but I've have
> enough...............
>
> Has anyone else noticed that Trendmicro is falling behind lately?  I
> know they are a little gun shy because of the pattern file problem
> last month but give me a break.  Fix the internal problem and lets
> move on!!!!
>
> They have been sitting on MyTob.DD for 11 hrs now and have yet to
> release the pattern file.
>
> WHAT IS THE FREAKING PROBLEM????
>
> </vent>

> Join us at SANSFIRE 2005 in Atlanta!