[Dshield] Is DShield Dead?

Johannes B. Ullrich jullrich at sans.org
Mon Jun 20 11:42:01 GMT 2005

> As I sit here and look at what has transpired in the DShield list in the
> 20/30 days I see very little. Ever since it was unofficially announced that
> DShield went "commercial."

Could you fill me in on this please? I think I am *running* DShield, and
had no idea that it went "commercial" ;-)

Personally, I do make a living working for SANS, and SANS is nice enough
to allow me to spend a good chunk of my paid time on DShield/ISC. But
this hasn't happened recently (happened about 4 years ago).

> There has been very little other than complaints
> that logging which still does not work (over two months now). We have the
> Handlers Diary that provides more information about what is happening than
> what shows up in the list. "Names" I used to see talking here are now
> talking in other lists.

Complaints about DShield are on topic for this list. Actually, its kind
of what the list was originally started for. I made a few attempts in
the past to split the list into a "security" and a "DShield" list, but
it hasn't worked in the past.

> Why did DShield decide to not tell "us" that they went commercial, was this
> an oversight?

Maybe the other lists you are hanging out on are not all that great ;-)

> Have the "new" duties of Johannes; caused things that used to happen, here
> not happen?

Well, I do have other duties aside from taking care of DShield. As such,
there is of course limited time to attend to various problems. Over the
last months, I spent most of the time on the road for various reasons,
so yes, DShield hasn't gotten a lot of attention.

After all, DShield is NOT COMMERCIAL, but I do have to make a living ;-)

> Are the Handlers that once used to be "volunteers" being compensated for
> their efforts?

Handlers are not compensated for their effort. At this point, each
handler receives a free (but very cool) handler shirt and a couple of
Internet Storm Center bumper stickers.

> I fully expect Deb to answer as she seems to be Johannes voice over the
> last couple of months. Thank You Deb!

Yes. Thanks Deb! She is great when it comes to draw my attention to high
priority issues.

Of course: feel free to post a follow up post of the kind you would like
to see on this list ;-)

--
---------
Johannes Ullrich                        jullrich at sans.org