[Dshield] Is DShield Dead?

Jim Race vimages at well.com
Mon Jun 20 04:41:10 GMT 2005

I think the most important thing for DShield to recognize is that
because of the longtime problems, their loyal userbase is declining.

Sure, they may still see a slow ramping up in data being submitted. But
those that could (and did) provide the most intelligent hardcore
feedback realized that the dent in the wall and the never healing bruise
on the forehead was for naught. I stopped submitting logs about threee
months ago, since there was clearly nothing "in it" for me.

It's a simple equation. If you would like your users to submit free data
(using their expenses in both time and real money, i.e. bandwidth,
electricty and cpu cycles) at least show them something in return. Not
empty promises.

I don't intend this as a "dig" at Johannes or Deb. I *do* intend to
point out it's not working as user expectations probably are. To me, it
seems far more in line of someones hobby, rather than a serious
endevour. If it is now a business (as your email implied) it is a rather
flawed one.

But then again, so are most of the "Security" companies these days.

-jim