[Dshield] Is DShield Dead?

John B. Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Mon Jun 20 14:25:24 GMT 2005

Chris,

I agree with the substance of your comments. I too have gotten more than
I have given with respect to DShield and it has served me very well
despite the recent sysadmin/performance issues.  Perhaps to deal with
the sysadmin issues, a group similar to the ISC handlers could be formed
that rotates the responsibility for daily caretaking of the DShield
servers by means of remote access tools (VPN etc.).

I would like to clarify/correct your use  of the S/N metaphor. Recall
that  signals (i.e. information) are the good stuff   and noise is just
that. So  when you referred to S/N  I think what you meant to say in
your post is that the Signal to Noise ratio on the DShield list has gone
DOWN not UP recently. Counterintuitive, unless you stop and think about
it, but correct nonetheless.

 Alternatively, to make your point,  you could have said that the Noise
to Signal ratio (the reciprocal of S/N,  = 1(/S/N) = N/S) has gone UP.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International
GSEC,GCWN,GGSC-0100,NSA-IAM