[Dshield] Is DShield Dead?

Michael D. Hofer mhofer at ancientpond.com
Mon Jun 20 13:14:14 GMT 2005

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Jim Race wrote:

> It's a simple equation. If you would like your users to submit free data
> (using their expenses in both time and real money, i.e. bandwidth,
> electricty and cpu cycles) at least show them something in return. Not
> empty promises.

Am I missing something?  I pay for the bandwidth whether or not I use it.
Nobody's counting bytes. There _is_ electricity usage, but the cost would be
the same whether or not I send the reports in.  The actual sending is a little
cron job, I spent, oh, 15 minutes putting the script together, if that,
once...

As for cycles?  No problems on my firewall not being able to do it's thing
yet.

So what's the _real_ cost of sending in the reports?  For me, it's not even
incremental.  I have seen the stumbles of the daily report TO me, but hell,
I'm certainly getting my money's worth, since I'm spending nothing.

And I DO think a central clearinghouse of Intrusion attempts is important to
maintain.  Even if I don't go to the website and see the "top ten".

It costs me nothing, it serves a good cause.  No brainer.

What business?  Has anyone on this list been approached for payments?

Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I always think that the chances of finding out
what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to
say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied.
   -- Douglas Adams, _The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy_