[Dshield] Wireless MAC Authentication options.

Josh Tolley josh at raintreeinc.com
Mon Jun 20 15:05:15 GMT 2005

Chris Mitchell wrote:
> I have recently been contracted by a client of mine to implement a wireless
> network for a small school (500 students).  I would like opinions on MAC
> Address Authentication methods.  This is a Windows based network, and the
> solution should be fairly simple so that it is manageable by the client.
> Any input is greatly appreciated.
>

> Thanks
> Chris

Talk a little about the network. Will you have loads of roaming
computers, or are these desktops that are using wireless only because
running cable is a pain? Why are you particularly keen to use MAC
authentication? I can't answer for very large scale wireless
installations, but in my experience on a small network with a fairly
transient set of laptops wanting to use the wireless network, MAC
authentication is easy in theory because it happens on the access point
itself and so requires no extra hardware, but becomes a huge pain in the
end, keeping track of what MACs are still necessary and which ones
haven't been used in two years.

Josh Tolley
Raintree Systems, Inc.
http://www.raintreeinc.com