[Dshield] Is DShield Dead?

Peter Stendahl-Juvonen peter.stendahl-juvonen at welho.com
Mon Jun 20 15:47:41 GMT 2005

list-bounces at lists.dshield.org <mailto:list-bounces at lists.dshield.org>
wrote on Monday, June 20, 2005 6:14 PM (EET) UTC+3 on behalf of Brenden
Walker

| Thanks for that, must have missed it.  I'm certainly one of the
| smaller submitters, although I submit hourly.. It's just for one
| Linux NAT router/server with 3 computers behind it.. I do have FTP,
| WWW, SSH and a few other ports open.. So I get a few folks sniffin'
| around.

Brenden et al.

My pleasure.

Just as a reminder. Please consider submitting HALF-HOURLY as Johannes
have requested, if that is convenient for you.

Have submitted log excerpts half-hourly ever since Johannes urged to do
so. The goal of submitting half-hourly is of course getting closer to
real-time reporting and the "new" but not so shiny DShield server should
not have a problem with that.

In spite of the sysadmin/performance issues with DShield during the last
few months, I am considering setting up log excerpt submissions for my
friends as well. My friends are end users and setting up submissions
from a Win XP system with a H/W SPI firewall would be too challenging
with their knowledge. Using two awesome pieces of SW, Kiwi Syslog Daemon
and the DShield Universal Firewall client, taking care of their
submissions is a piece of cake, and works automatically like charm, at
least at the sender's end. ;-)

- Pete

           "Saying goodbye doesn't mean anything.
   It's the time we spent together that matters, not how we left it"
     Trey Parker (1969-) and Matt Stone (1971-), TV scriptwriters