[Dshield] Is DShield Dead?

Mike Wydra mwydra1 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 20 20:28:17 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Johannes B. Ullrich" <jullrich at sans.org>
To: "General DShield Discussion List" <list at lists.dshield.org>
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 11:42 AM
Subject: Re: [Dshield] Is DShield Dead?

What we need:

> - good contributions to this list ;-)
> - more diverse submitters (we are ok on /16s and such, but can always
> use more cable/dsl users)

Okay - I'm just a run of the mill, joe blow average Internet user. I don't
understand most of what you guys are talking about, but I'm trying to learn.
In return for the free education, I'm willing to help whereever I can, and I
am a simple computer (non-server) user on a cable link. (Comcast tells me
that I've got a four meg pipe)

I'm impressed with what you guys are doing to try to stop all this crap
that's hitting my machine. I can easily see that whitout you guys (and gals)
I'd get a lot more of it.

I have a Microsoft NAT/basestation which keeps a log of all the yo-yo's
trying to get in, and I'm running "Zone Alarm Security Suite" as my main
firewall. Any SPAM that I get - I send to Dshield. What else can I do to
help? I'm running Win XP Pro w/SP2, and all my patches are up to date. My
Nat firewall gets about 150 blocked hits a day, and I can tell which ones
are port scans. Would my NAT log be of any use? And if so - who do I send it
to? So here's a cable user who's got lots of time on my hands, and like I
said, I'm willing to help.

Mike Wydra
Retired AT&T