[Dshield] Wireless MAC Authentication options.

Allen Kistler an037-0m26i at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 21:15:37 GMT 2005

Willy, Andrew wrote:
> My question seems really silly after reading your reply.  I should have
> given it more thought before sending it -- thanks for straightening me out!
>
> One other thing I'm not clear on is how someone listens in on wireless
> communication.  This is something that others believe is relatively simple,
> however for a ignoramus like me, it certainly isn't as easy to plugging into
> a wired network and listening to broadcasts.  Is their some gizmo that
> allows you to 'plug in' to wireless?

I have a Fedora Core 3 laptop and a Prism-based wireless 802.11b NIC.
All I have to do is run tcpdump or ethereal (promiscuous packet capture
utilities) at home to listen to my neighbors' unencrypted network traffic.

There's Kismet and Airsnort for more complex 802.11b eavesdropping.  I
haven't had the chance to try out 802.11a or 802.11g eavesdropping tools.