[Dshield] Is DShield Dead?

Robert Nelson nelsrob at mts.net
Tue Jun 21 01:21:02 GMT 2005

If you connect thru a router, the router may still be connected, especially
if you have the router set to "keep alive" the connection. The router is
what has the IP address assigned by the ISP, and is where the connection is.
The LAN PCs are basically sharing the router's connection.

Around this neck of the woods, there are two big ISPs. One is cable with
static IP addresses, and the connection is "always on." The other is DSL
with dynamic IP addresses, and uses the PPPoE method, so you have to log on
with a username and password.

I have the DSL ISP, and my router will keep the connection going for days at
a time, with the same IP address. Even if the computer is off.

So, it all depends on your router and your ISP.

Robert