[Dshield] Wireless MAC Authentication options.

Willy, Andrew AWilly at eSMIL.net
Tue Jun 21 18:40:11 GMT 2005

Thank you -- very informative.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Dessent [mailto:brian at dessent.net]
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 2:32 PM
To: General DShield Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Dshield] Wireless MAC Authentication options.

"Willy, Andrew" wrote:

> Forgive the dumb question (someone has to ask one), but, is the MAC
address
> not encrypted, or does encrypted traffic begin post MAC authentication?
>
> We're implementing small scale wireless in a few of our offices and I'm
> interested in how security is circumvented -- several of our offices are
in
> shared buildings.  We're using MAC auth and keys, however the MAC auth was
> the measure I had the most confidence in.

You might be interested in this article:
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=43> as well as
<http://www.lanarchitect.net/Articles/Wireless/SecurityRating/>.

Brian
Join us at SANSFIRE 2005 in Atlanta!
The Internet Storm Center Conference.
Details: http://www.sans.org/sansfire2005

send all posts to list at lists.dshield.org
NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY-The information in this email, including
attachments, may be confidential and/or privileged and may contain
confidential health information. This email is intended to be reviewed only
by the individual or organization named as addressee. If you have received
this email in error please notify Scottsdale Medical Imaging, an affiliate
of Southwest Diagnostic Imaging, LTD immediately - by return message to the
sender or to support at esmil.com - and destroy all copies of this message and
any attachments. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this
email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of Scottsdale Medical Imaging. Confidential health information is protected
by state and federal law, including, but not limited to, the Health
Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and related
regulations.