[Dshield] New type of Comment spam on blogs

Ed Truitt ed.truitt at etee2k.net
Thu Jun 23 02:56:29 GMT 2005

I have been dealing with a new type of intrusion -- blog comment spamm which includes a trackback to Google or Yahoo, which means you can't blacklist unless you want to stay off the search engines (if no one can Google your blog, is it really there?)

Short of blacklisting the IP block at the hosting sites core routers, anyone have any ideas of how to stop this stuff? I am concerned that the bad guys are looking for a way to co-opt or even DoS web sites, and that this is a "dry run".

-EdT.
Cheers,
-E D Truitt

Sent via my BlackBerry from Cingular Wireless