[Dshield] Phish the Feds

David Cary Hart DShield at TQMcube.com
Sun Jun 26 02:47:19 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 14:48 -0400, Kevin Shaw wrote:
> Having worked as a contractor at a couple of Federal agencies; my
> biggest observation was a serious lack of **qualified** Federal
> employees.  When you have 1-year-out-of-internship and 1-week-of-SANS
> class FTEs managing the security; particularly managing the
> contractors, you are setting yourself up for failure.  It doesn't
> matter how competent the Federal employee may be (and personally; my
> observation is NONE of them were where I worked) in other areas if
> they don't have any security experience.  It doesn't even matter how
> competent your contractors are if they are busy compensating for lack
> in other areas.

I was a DOD contractor in Thailand and then Panama some years ago. While
I am sure that the technology has improved, the culture has remained the
same - even at the most senior levels.

Priorities are so misdirected, it's amazing to me that anyone in
government gets anything accomplished. A recent exception was the DEA's
crackdown on internet pharmacies. Of course, there were economics
associated with that endeavor which was probably stimulated by (big
donor) pharmaceutical companies. Let's see if they follow through.
--
      * Eliminate Spam:         http://www.TQMcube.com/spam_trap.htm
      * RBLDNSD HowTo:          http://www.TQMcube.com/rbldnsd.htm