[Dshield] Blocking Offending Countries

Mike Wydra mwydra1 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 28 02:54:56 GMT 2005

My Friends:

First let me say thank-you to all the kind responses concerning my heart condition. Constant visits to my Doctors are a pain - but otherwise, I can get around with it, and I'm okay.

I've some important family business that's demanding my immediate attention, and it will take me a couple of days to deal with it. When I get that out of the way, I'll be back with a plan to not only deal with undesirable traffic, but to also put DShield and SANS on the Network news.

This is not idle talk - it was part of my field to do things like this - and I'm as good as they get. Just like you guys are as good as they get in your own respective fields.

I'm going to spill my plan out in chunks for two reasons: First, I don't want to overwhelm or bore anyone (the plan is simple but big). Second, I get tired easily, and can only "play" for a few hours a day.

As of now, all DSHield posts must look as professional as possible. There will be (and probably already are) spies on the list. These spies will be members of the press (to see what we're up to), and hackers (for the same reason). For those reasons alone, DShield must look as pristine as a new-born babies bottom.  By that I mean that there can be NO derogatory comments made about any country. If we do that, the press will have EVERY right to say that we are a racist organization. We need the press on our side, and we can't give the opposition any ammunition.

If after looking at the plan, you think I'm an idiot - please feel free to say so, I've got a thick skin. I would also welcome suggestions for improving the plan (when it comes out). More to come - but for now, would someone please explain to me "how blocking China IP's would also block Canada? I truly don't understand the following piece of a post:

Hmm, if we applied that logic, traffic from the US would be cut off
> from entering Canada. The two countries who target Canadian IPs
> on a regular basis are China and the US.

Thanks,
Mike Wydra
AT&T