[Dshield] Wireless broadcasts

Willy, Andrew AWilly at eSMIL.net
Tue Jun 28 16:31:54 GMT 2005

Another (few) dumb wireless question(s).

Is it normal behavior for a WAP setup for encryption to send broadcast
traffic unencrypted?  It makes sense to me that a key exchange needs to
occur before encrypted traffic between to devices begins, but I was suprised
(alarmed) when I setup a makeshift wireless sensor that broadcasts showed up
plain text even though I hadn't "connected" to the WAP.

Thank you,

Andrew
NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY-The information in this email, including
attachments, may be confidential and/or privileged and may contain
confidential health information. This email is intended to be reviewed only
by the individual or organization named as addressee. If you have received
this email in error please notify Scottsdale Medical Imaging, an affiliate
of Southwest Diagnostic Imaging, LTD immediately - by return message to the
sender or to support at esmil.com - and destroy all copies of this message and
any attachments. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this
email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of Scottsdale Medical Imaging. Confidential health information is protected
by state and federal law, including, but not limited to, the Health
Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and related
regulations.