[Dshield] Wireless broadcasts

Michael Cox mscox at ti.com
Wed Jun 29 17:38:18 GMT 2005

Your protocol analyzer could deduce spanning tree based on the multicast
destination MAC address even if it couldn't see the encrypted data. That
doesn't explain seeing ARP's though. I'm thinking this wasn't a valid
test somehow. What are you using to capture and decode the traffic?

Basically, sniffing encrypted 802.11 traffic would show you the SSID and
the stations' MAC addresses in the clear. You should also be able to
determine the type of encryption used (WEP/RC4 vs. AES). With WEP, you
can see the IV and ICV of each encrypted frame which are useful for
certain types of attacks. If an authentication protocol is used beyond
WEP, then you can determine what type it is if you capture the
authentication sequence. With some of these the userid is sent in the
clear as I think another poster has already pointed out.

Hope that helps!
Michael Cox