[Dshield] Cut Off China

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Thu Jun 30 17:25:03 GMT 2005

Writing from my dynamic connection.  :)

No, that doesn't evade the block at all.   A dynamic connection will be
somewhere in the range blocked.  Just entering block (for instance)
[58.35. and nothing else blocks a whole bunch of mail from, in this
instance, Israel (I think).   (Dunno which country, really doesn't
matter, all that matters is spam came from their and it didn't originate
from within my country, and I do no foreign business.)  All of you
complaining about blocking have one thing in common.  None of you have
offered a home user any other FREE method of totally stopping spam that
does not include turning control over to someone else.  Writing filters
is free (minus the time).  Control remains with the user.  Business
considerations such as VPNs and Nets that span oceans are not applicable
to a home PC.  Many readers and users of Dshield are home users.  IP
spam blocking works for home users and nothing else you have suggested
stops the spam cold.

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 22:44 -0400, jayjwa wrote:

>> I've got to disagree here: why bother to hack a box, setup a spam front
>> to start off whatever operation they have in mind, only to have said box
>> go offline 20 minutes later because grandma shutdown her PPP connection
>> after she read her email and the whole thing's now gone to waste?

If you've hacked 3000 at the same time, losing grandmas is less of an
issue.

>> Dynamic != Bad Guy.

Dynamic == Proxy for Bad Guy
Evades that country specific block pretty nicely doesn't it?