[Dshield] little experiment

Cef cef at optus.net
Wed Mar 2 01:29:34 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 00:29, Johannes B. Ullrich wrote:
> - SP2 detection needs work. I think it only works well with Internet
>    Explorer. Have to see what the exact magic string is in Firefox.

>From what I could see, it looks like it's entirely dependant on what the
browser reports, which, lets face it, could be anything. I think that Firefox
has just started doing what Opera has done for a while, which is not even
bother to report the service pack version. Unfortunately until IE itself does
this, there is no real gain from such behaviour, and in fact I wouldn't be
surprised to see sites out there that suddenly only allow browsers that
report SP2 in the browser ID string.

> - the page will probably only work in MSIE and Firefox. Other browsers
>    may / may not work. The problem is that as I get more and more into
>    using browser specific tricks to figure out some of the intormation,
>    I can't support them all (see the XP SP2 issue).

As mentioned, it seems to work fine in Konqueror, and I wouldn't be surprised
if it worked in Safari, since Safari uses KHTML for rendering, which is what
Konqueror is based on.

I threw a few text based browsers at it too, and they loaded fine, apart from
the javascript stuff of course.

 Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - cef at optus.net