[Dshield] Firewall Tapes off site?

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at comcast.net
Wed Mar 2 19:41:37 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 06:47, Shane Presley wrote:
> Slightly off topic, but I was wondering what various people think
> about sending firewall backup tapes off site?  Seems like you have to
> do it for D.R., but I also don't like the idea of the firewall
> OS/Application data being shipped to a third party?

Why does it have to be shipped?  Off-site is for the purposes of
rebuilding in case of fire or other natural disasters.  Depending on
where you are at, a security box at a bank or other place is enough, and
it only has to be a few miles away at most.  The off site visit only
needs to be done once a month.  If the security is a concern, get the
boxes that can't be opened without two keys.  My major concern with a
firewall is quite frankly the system configuration and rules and getting
them back into working order quickly.

HHH
--
Key Name:  "Henry Hertz Hobbit"
Key fingerprint = 924E BE61 1ACF B87A DCA9 009E E74C 183D 0164 F7D5