[Dshield] Need some help please

James Riden j.riden at massey.ac.nz
Wed Mar 2 22:21:18 GMT 2005

"Aaron Lewis" <aaron at adldatacomm.net> writes:

> Hello, I have a problem that I can't put my finger on. I have a client who
> uses my mail server qMail on Linux with HSphere. The mail client giving us
> trouble is Outlook Express. All systems are Virus and Spyware free. Verified
> as recently as this morning.
>
> Here's the problem. Some times when they try to send mail with an
> attachment, it fails with error 0x800CCC0F
> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
> this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Account: 'your.mail.account', Server: 'your.mail.server',
> Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
>
> Now I can reproduce this on Windows 2000 and XP on 3 different LAN's using 3
> different ISP's. This is a recent issue within the last month. I have a
> capture of a failed message that I don't want to post to the forum. If you'd
> like to take a look please ask.
>
> If you need information I have not provided please ask for that also.

What POP3 server are you using? Are you sure it supports SSL on port
110/tcp? - some use the alternate POP3S port (995/tcp).  What
certificate does it have? Some clients, esp. Windows ones will reject
self-signed (homebrew) certs, instead wanting one which is signed by
one of the big CAs.

cheers,
 Jamie
--