[Dshield] Need some help please

Hunt, Andrew AHunt at STRAUB.NET
Thu Mar 3 00:03:28 GMT 2005

Says 'Secure(SSL): No', which would mean encryption is off.  It's running
plaintext.

Regards,

Drew Hunt
Security Analyst
Hawaii Pacific Health
ahunt at straub.net

-----Original Message-----
From: James Riden [mailto:j.riden at massey.ac.nz]
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 12:21 PM
To: General DShield Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Dshield] Need some help please

"Aaron Lewis" <aaron at adldatacomm.net> writes:

> Hello, I have a problem that I can't put my finger on. I have a client
> who uses my mail server qMail on Linux with HSphere. The mail client
> giving us trouble is Outlook Express. All systems are Virus and
> Spyware free. Verified as recently as this morning.
>
> Here's the problem. Some times when they try to send mail with an
> attachment, it fails with error 0x800CCC0F Your server has
> unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this
> include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Account: 'your.mail.account', Server: 'your.mail.server',
> Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
>
> Now I can reproduce this on Windows 2000 and XP on 3 different LAN's
> using 3 different ISP's. This is a recent issue within the last month.
> I have a capture of a failed message that I don't want to post to the
> forum. If you'd like to take a look please ask.
>
> If you need information I have not provided please ask for that also.

What POP3 server are you using? Are you sure it supports SSL on port
110/tcp? - some use the alternate POP3S port (995/tcp).  What certificate
does it have? Some clients, esp. Windows ones will reject self-signed
(homebrew) certs, instead wanting one which is signed by one of the big CAs.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden at massey.ac.nz / Systems Security Engineer Information
Technology Services, Massey University, NZ. GPG public key available at:

SANS Intrusion Immersion Training: Orlando, FL, February 3-9th
http://www.sans.org/orlando05

send all posts to list at lists.dshield.org