[Dshield] amihacked.com now without portscan

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at comcast.net
Fri Mar 4 20:56:29 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 17:01, Abuse wrote:
> ** Reply to message from Henry Hertz Hobbit <hhhobbit at comcast.net> on Wed, 02
> Mar 2005 18:47:09 -0700
>
> > I sent your test site to my brother who works for Edison Electric that
> > provides electric service for Los Angeles.  I hope they were not the
> > ones that turned the heat on you.  If that is what caused it, I
> > APOLOGIZE!  My statement stands and will always stand - if we don't find
> > the holes first, a hacker will find them for us.  The hackers won't be
> > nearly as kind!    I am bcc'ing this message to my brother's private
> > address (the company is STUPIDLY rejecting a connection).  If they think
> > they can protect themselves by turning the heat on, there are other far
> > less open people than those in this newsgroup that are not as kind, and
> > not as open that will exploit these issues.  Not allowing the white hats
> > (I consider Johannes to be one of us but I may be wrong - it would take
> > years to learn that and I could still be wrong and you could be wrong
> > about me) to find something isn't helping ANYBODY.  Every concept should
> > be evaluated on its own merit.  It should not stand based on who the
> > person is that is making it (I AM NOBODY).  TEST IT!
>
> Edison executives are not the sharpest blades in the drawer.
>
> A little story.
>
> An Edison VP was touring the computer center and saw a large device and asked
> what it was.  He was told it was a UPS for power backup in case the power went
> down.  He instructed them to remove it as it was not needed as Edison was THE
> power company and they would never be without power.  A year later he was going
> through the computer center again and saw that the UPS was still there and
> again demanded to have it removed.  So the UPS was removed.  Then the
> California power problems came on and the computer center was down for about
> two days.  Without the computer center they had a lot of trouble tracking the
> work orders so they could restore power to all the areas affected.  Needless to
> say they have since reinstalled a new UPS.

This is the second time in days that I have seen something that is
extremely funny.  The other one was the backup video - unfortunately
both tapes and hard disk drives have the same problem.  THEY ARE
MAGNETIC.  That junkyard magnet that lifts cars can erase the contents
of both hard disk drives and tapes completely.  What will a little
magnet do?  The DVD-RAM has some promise, but no backup seems to be
impervious to something fouling it up.

It kind of reminds me of a place (I have this sinking feeling that this
company is NOT alone) that one of the bigwigs didn't like all those
messy Cat-3 or Cat-4 cables (no, they didn't have Cat-5 or Cat-5e) in
the computer center sprawled all over the place and DEMANDED that they
be neatly bundled together.  All that I ask is that all of the dust be
vacuumed up with a static free vacuum cleaner.  Crosstalk heaven,
Communications DEAD!  They couldn't even get one server to talk to
another server.  The cables are now sprawled all over the place again.
I am also bcc'ing this message to my brother since he may not be at the
top level, but he is right up there next to the top (and infinitely
smarter than that VP - he is far more intelligent than I am).

Unlike Edison which I am pretty convinced is apocryphal, this last
episode is REAL!

HHH

PS  Big Brother isn't the government - IT IS GOOGLE!  Be careful which
side of the blade it is that you hold, and be aware that it is double
edged.
--
Key Name:  "Henry Hertz Hobbit"
Key fingerprint = 924E BE61 1ACF B87A DCA9 009E E74C 183D 0164 F7D5