[Dshield] Would You Trust "Secure Enterprise Instant Messaging" From a Spam Source?

Abuse abuse at what4now.com
Wed Mar 16 06:15:55 GMT 2005

** Reply to message from "Jon R. Kibler" <Jon.Kibler at aset.com> on Tue, 15 Mar
2005 16:30:27 -0500

> Would you trust a "Secure Enterprise Instant Messaging" product that advertises
> via spam? We just received the following email advertising "safe" IM software.
> It was sent to a spambait email address that was clearly harvested from a
> newsgroup or other Internet posting.

No way.

> >    From: "Omnipod" <reply-1472 at elabs3.com>
> > Subject: Secure Enterprise Instant Messaging
> >      To: (spambait email address deleted)

Need the full headers to see where this came from.

<SNIP>

> Anyone ever heard of this outfit? Is this a legitimate product, or is it some
> kind of Trojan? The company that owns the domain elabs3.com (uptilt.com) claims
> to be a CRM organization, yet they advertise an email marketing capability.

I will NEVER buy anything advertised by spam, legitimate or not.  The only way
to stop spam is for everyone to stop buying their junk, if no one bought they
would stop sending spam.

> Anyone know anything about this organization? If this is a legit product, you
> REALLY have to wonder why in the world they would advertise via SPAM!

To start with spam is sent by stealing other people's bandwidth so we have a
thief doing the advertising.  Do you want to do business with a thief?  All of
the people I know would never think of buying something being sold by a
stranger on a street corner so why would you think it any different when you
get an email from someone you don't know and most likely can not get any
information about?  I have a bridge for sale, you want to buy it?