[Dshield] Increase in email address validation scheme

Andy Brown andy.brown at interv8.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 09:43:43 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 6:29 am, Abuse wrote:
> ** Reply to message from "Jon R. Kibler" on Tue, 15
> Mar 2005 11:10:18 -0500
>
> > In recent days we have seen a substantial increase in an old email
> > address validation scheme. The scheme works by inserting a URL into an
> > html email, where the URL references a 1x1 transparent GIF file.
>
> One of the reasons I open email in text mode ONLY.
>
> As far as I am concerned email should be only text no HTML as it is a waist
> of bandwidth.

Hi All,
First time-poster to the list :-)
Yes, totally agree, we've now got mailscanner running before delivery into
exchange (urgh!) and set to convert all HTML to text, since most of the users
on the network run outlook clients in default preview mode.

--
Regards,
Andy <andy @ thebmwz3.co.uk>  http://www.thebmwz3.co.uk/