[Dshield] How do I determine NAT address

Cef cef at optus.net
Sun Mar 20 05:33:53 GMT 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 05:01, Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 04:42, Lauro, John wrote:
> > I have java, and it doesn't work.  It states I am behind firewall, but
> > only gives the IP address of my proxy server.  It also states I am on
> > Windows XP with service pack 2, however I am on Windows XP, but do
> > have service pack 2...
> >
> > > You can do this in Java as demonstrated at http://www.amihacked.com/
> > >
> > > Of course, this means the end user must have Java installed.
>
> Will the original poster of this thread please clarify this
> for us?  Obviously, we have the above situation protecting John
> (who may have some registry setting or something else protecting him).
> But John is running Java, or is he?  By default, I ALWAYS have Java
> turned off, and turn it on only when necessary.  After I get through
> using it I turn it right back off (I use Firefox on Linux).  If you
> are going out to the Internet a lot, I advise you do exactly the same
> thing, but I KNOW that it is IMPOSSIBLE to ask a normal user to do
> that.  They will forget or just leave it on.  If they are using IE,
> it is problem to do it that way anyway for a NORMAL user.  Actually
> it might be difficult even for a NORMAL user to do it with Firefox.

A useful tool for Firefox is PrefBar ( http://prefbar.mozdev.org/ ), which
gives you a toolbar specifically for dealing with the internal preferences of
Firefox.

This allows you to easily change things like wether or not you're using Java,
Javascript, a Proxy, loading of Images, clearing the Cache, Font size, use of
Flash (and killing active flash), and changing the User Agent string, among
other stuff.

For any web developers or network admins, it's a 'killer app' that's so damn
useful it's not funny.

 Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - cef at optus.net