[Dshield] More secure default configurations?

Stephane Grobety security at admin.fulgan.com
Tue Mar 22 16:12:36 GMT 2005

A> Lets talk about the most used system, Windows.  Since Windows is sold as an
A> appliance (as it is advertised and sold to users as needing no training
A> whatever to use, which is false)

No need to go any further: your entire argumentation is based on that
initial condition that is false in two ways: first, as you stated,
Windows DOES need user training and second it is NOT sold as
"requiring no training". The only sales argument I've ever seen
regarding this is that windows requires little additional training,
something quite different.

To dig on the traditional car metaphor, it's the same as driving: once
you get your license, driving a standard car model does NOT require
ADDITIONAL training. But you still need to learn how to drive in the
first place and driving a truck will probably require additional
training.

Good luck,
Stephane