[Dshield] Symantec: spam, phishing grow, botnets shrink in '04

Commerco WebMaster Webmaster at Commerco.Net
Tue Mar 22 19:07:47 GMT 2005

Ferg,

As always, I enjoy these news note links you post to this list.

In this case, though, I am curious as to if you and others see the apparent
paradox that I see with a rise in spam and information theft schemes vs a
decline in bot/zombie numbers.

As I understood things, the bot/zombie nets offer convenient platforms for
spammers to send their noisome messages and for the virus/worm writers to
gain distribution platforms for their nefarious efforts.  If my
understanding is correct, then it would seem in the best interests of the
bad guys to want to develop as many of these bot/zombie nets as they
can.  If not, then what is their vehicle of choice these days for distribution?

To me these rising and declining data points occurring together seem
somewhat counterintuitive.  I am on page with Symantec as regards an
increase in spam and information theft schemes, but the other seems off to
me.  What do you make of it?

Best,

Alan Maitland
WebMaster at Commerco.Net
The Commerce Company - Making Commerce Simple(sm)
http://WWW.Commerco.Com/