[Dshield] Symantec: spam, phishing grow, botnets shrink in '04

Bob Poortinga bobp+dshield at webster.tsc.com
Wed Mar 23 19:49:33 GMT 2005

"Alan Maitland" <Webmaster at commerco.net> writes:

> To me these rising and declining data points occurring together seem
> somewhat counterintuitive.  I am on page with Symantec as regards an
> increase in spam and information theft schemes, but the other seems off to
> me.  What do you make of it?

At this point, evidence seems to indicate the 'bot masters are now using
lots of small 'bot nets instead of large ones.  The reasoning is that if one
net is uncovered, they only lose a small percentage of their total.
It also makes detecting these nets much more difficult.

One should take the Symantec report with a grain of salt.  I believe
the total number of PCs running 'bots and the number of 'bot nets continues
to grow, but the number of 'bot nets actually detected is shinking.

--
Bob Poortinga  K9SQL
Bloomington, Indiana  US