[Dshield] More secure default configurations?

Abuse abuse at what4now.com
Thu Mar 24 06:08:40 GMT 2005

** Reply to message from Stephane Grobety <security at admin.fulgan.com> on Tue,
22 Mar 2005 17:12:36 +0100

> No need to go any further: your entire argumentation is based on that
> initial condition that is false in two ways: first, as you stated,
> Windows DOES need user training and second it is NOT sold as
> "requiring no training".

I have to completely disagree.  It is sold as an appliance that does not
require training.  I see it all the time, all you need to do is subscribe to a
mailing list that has new Windows users and see what kind of questions they ask
and you will see they do not have the basic understanding to use a computer let
alone practice safe surfing let alone securing their computer.

> The only sales argument I've ever seen
> regarding this is that windows requires little additional training,
> something quite different.

If any training is given it is where to click to start and get email and browse
and shutdown the computer, nothing about computer security or even safe surfing.