[Dshield] Symantec: spam, phishing grow, botnets shrink in '04

Commerco WebMaster Webmaster at Commerco.Net
Thu Mar 24 18:49:12 GMT 2005

Bob,

Thank you for your observation.  This seems the most reasonable explanation
so far.

Adding the "detected" word in your last sentence really made all the
difference for me.  I cannot imagine the authors of all the destructive and
offensive drek that masquerades as or is contained as a payload in email
messages would ever wish to lose or harm their distribution
environment.  That would seemingly defy logic and reason.  Changing tactics
to protect discovery of their botnets by making them more stealthy and
thereby less detectable, on the other hand, makes complete sense.

Perhaps the Symantec report's conclusion as regards botnets fell into the
trap illustrated through this old joke - Statistics are like a bikini, what
they reveal is interesting, but what they can hide is critical.

Best,

Alan Maitland
WebMaster at Commerco.Net
The Commerce Company - Making Commerce Simple(sm)
http://WWW.Commerco.Com/