[Dshield] routing 192.168...?

Dom De Vitto dom at devitto.com
Mon May 2 23:24:39 GMT 2005

It is actually easier to do trace spoofed traffic than you think.

If there is lots of it, like at attack, it will show up in netflow/cflowd
Records, giving away which routers the traffic passed through, and which
Interfaces.

Cisco's 'Cisco Express Forwarding' permits tracing the flow of packets, you
can in effect say, which interface does the next 192.168.0.0 packet come in
on, and where did I send it.

The TTL, if not specifically set by the attacker, is a good indication of
source.  As each OS uses a known TTL, you can second-guess that a TTL of 100
at the receiver was originally 128 when sent.

As for getting neighbour ISPs to do something - if it's a transit link, the
ISP can tell the provider to stop sending them 192.168 crap - which
otherwise the ISP would pay for.  For peering relationships, which are
usually (but not always) symbiotic, if the ISP threatens to drop the peering
link "because you send me too much junk", the peer will tend to fix the
problem.

Dom
Dom De Vitto CISSP, dom at devitto.com