[Dshield] Replies to "unmoderating the list" thread and other list changes/suggestions

Cefiar cef at optus.net
Fri May 6 20:05:17 GMT 2005

On Saturday 07 May 2005 03:54, Johannes B. Ullrich wrote:
> -> I think it is a good idea to put new members on 'probation'. Once
> they posted a couple times, they will be set to unmoderated (Haven't
> tried it yet, but our mailing list software should be able to do this).

Sounds like a damn good idea to me.

> -> Ever since I restricted posting to subscribers, I didn't see spam or
> viruses hit the box. One reason I automatically reject posts from
> non-members is that we got much more spam/viruses then posts. There is
> maybe one vacation message a day that I have to reject.

I run a few mailing lists, and tend to find that a good way of catching a lot
of spam that falls through the normal traps is to reject any mail to the list
that does not actually list the email address for the list in the To:/CC:
headers. Many viruses and spams use Bcc:'s like this, so it's an instant
drop. And I'm guessing that like the lists I run, it'd be considered rude to
Bcc: an email destined for somewhere else to a semi-public list.

> -> IRC: if someone sets up a channel and advertises it here, its fine
> with me. But I will not 'endorse' it as I don't have the time to monitor
> it. Past experience shows little interest in online chat.

I'm quite happy to set up a channel on Freenode and/or help maintain said
channel if enough people are interested?

 Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - cef at optus.net