[Dshield] unmoderating the list

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Sat May 7 08:13:20 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 09:23 -0400, Johannes B. Ullrich wrote:
> I am thinking about turning moderation off fo rthe list, and would like
> to get some feedback on this first.

Actually, I would prefer a moderated list. That would, for example, keep
all those "Me too" messages off the list ;)

I also fear that this list will turn into a general chat list about
"security stuff". There are plenty of lists already out there for that
purpose. Adding another open list to the mix would further dilute
discussions. I expect to see the same news emails cc'ed here that appear
in FD, NANOG, etc. Originally, this list was about DShield, with
Current-Events setup to discuss current events. But apparently no one
went there and posted current stuff here. While I think it's important
and beneficial to have a list for current, incident handler related
things, I don't know if that is DShield. Or perhaps we should take the
opportunity to retool the lists purpose.

Will this list be about DShield, SANS ISC / incident handler matter, or
a news ticker list? I think the moderation was great in that respect
that it kept discussions not just from getting out of hand but also on
topic. I fear an unmoderated list might tilt to an unfavorable
signal-to-noise ratio.

Heck, let's try it. But since you asked, I raise my hand for
moderation :)

Cheers,
Frank