[Dshield] Ports & Protocols Wiki reminder

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 12:32:26 GMT 2005

List,

Just a quick reminder.  There is a wikibook dedicated to documenting port numbers commonly used by various protocols, and more importantly, to documenting the protocols themselves.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Networking:Ports_and_Protocols

Before I get a deluge of responses pointing me to Dave's Port List or something, let me say that as useful as such resources are, there are apparently no resources on the web which document obscure protocols or demonstrate "normal" traffic for various applications (e.g. IIS responses versus Apache).

I recall a few months ago a disagreement on the very basic behavior of HTTP.  This highlights that the community NEEDS an authoritative source for this information, and what better way to get one than to create it ourselves?

Thanks in advance for all contributions!

Regards,

Pete