[Dshield] Any legitimate reaason to strip SMTP X- headers?

Brenden Walker BKWalker at drbsystems.com
Tue May 24 13:15:10 GMT 2005

Hopefully this is an acceptable topic. I think it is.

I'm primarily a programmer, dealing a lot with TCP/IP and related
protocols.  One of our systems uses email to replicate database data.
The email's contain several X- headers so that we can positively
identify them as 'ours'..as it were.  The other day QA was just
restesting things, and found that none of the headers were getting
through.

After several hours of poking around, I found out that something
in-house (possibly websense html proxy) is also proxying port 25 and
stripping off ALL X- headers (including semi normal X-Mailer and the
like).

I'm not even sure I see any legitimate reason to strip these header off.
I'm just curious if there are real reasons to strip these?

Thanks.