[Dshield] Firewall spam reduction link?

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Fri May 27 16:32:02 GMT 2005

Sorry, Kenton, my original followup had the wrong subject line in the
reply and it was missed.  I did try to avoid naming the companies, but
emails indicate it is needed to avoid confusion.

This is an XP SP2 machine on a dynamic connection.  The original
firewall software was Norton Internet Security (NIS) with bundled
firewall and anti virus.  The new replacement firewall software is the
new AVG Beta firewall.  I had 40 spam emails this morning (5/27) versus
200 plus last week using NIS.  (Yes, now that I am writing on this open
forum some clod will add me to their newer spam list, sell the list and
I will soon get more.)

I write my own Spam filters and I log and review what is deleted or
blocked.  This is how I know there has been a change.  There are no
pop-up issues.

".., when I log on instead of seeing the usual 200+ spam emails in my trash box, I am seeing about 40. Instead of having a 120 or so pop up during the day, I get maybe 10" did NOT relate to pop-ups.  Perhaps the sentence should have said ".., 120 or so arrive during the day,..."  My apolgies for any confusion in terminology.

My ISP does not block any of my incoming email.  That was worked out and
agreed to long ago.

As I indicated in earlier posts to me there is more importance when
blocking or filtering spam in screening originating IPs than there is in
screening subject lines (although HGH, Rolex and similar are indeed
included in the filters I wrote).  You should already know what IPs you
normally receive or want email from.  At least 60% of what Spam I see
originated outside the US or from certain rogue IP ranges I long ago
blacklisted.  I ran AVG AV and NIS side by side in this machine for
years.  No conflicts have ever been observed.  Sometimes one would catch
something the other wouldn't.  It varied as to which one.  Yes Adaware
SE plusand Adwatch lurk here also, TDS too.

No trace of spyware has been found in this machine in several years.  I
don't know what Aaron's negative experience with free AVG was, and a lot
could have to do with how he acquired it and from where.  I can say I
have not found any signs of spyware calling home in free AVG.  I log
everything and would have noticed such.