[Dshield] Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Fa r

DAN MORRILL dan_20407 at msn.com
Tue Nov 1 22:11:20 GMT 2005

Hi folk,

Sorry to say, but any root kit, I don't care who's it is, is deadly on a
corporate network. Many cases have been thrown out of court because there
was malware on the box, and no one could assert that there was intent to
commit a crime. If the happy malware people find a way to co-opt the
software, if there is a vulnerablity in this, then they have an inbuilt ramp
to hide other things on the computer, and joe computer user will be none the
wiser in the longer run.

If I find anything like this on a corporate network, then there is a pile of
pain and systems wiping that will follow, and time wasted on my forensics
team because of a sony cd. All the scanners and RKR's will see are altered
system calls, meaning someone has to go visit the box, meaning I am going to
consume resources for this task.

There are a lot of issues here. And there could be a lot of wasted time on
the part of a corporate response team. I wonder if I can send the bill to
sony for this one?

r/Dan

Sometimes MSN E-mail will indicate that the mesasge failed to be delivered.
Please resend when you get those, it does not mean that the mail box is bad,
merely that MSN mail is over worked at the time.