[Dshield] Rootkits All Around: Universal Music Has It ,Too

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Nov 2 19:16:25 GMT 2005

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:03:24 PST, Mrcorp said:

> Perhaps I am a bit confused over terms, but are we talking rootkit, spyware,
> or something else?  I find it extremly odd that music companies would be
> putting rootkits on peoples computers.

Those of us who have been following the RIAA and MPAA for a while don't find
it at all odd in the slightest.  For instance, the whole Microsoft 'Trusted
Computing' thing isn't about building secure systems, it's about delivering
DRM that people can't easily bypass.  There's a *long* list of other things
they've done in order to try to retain control over the product even after
you have bought it, so sneaking a rootkit in is hardly unexpected....