[Dshield] Rootkits All Around: Universal Music Has It ,Too

Mark Owen mr.markowen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 19:27:17 GMT 2005

On 11/2/05, Mrcorp <mrcorp at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Perhaps I am a bit confused over terms, but are we talking rootkit, spyware, or something else?  I
> find it extremly odd that music companies would be putting rootkits on peoples computers.
>
> Mrcorp

All of the above?  When you install Sony's music player to listen to
your (their?) music cds you also install a rootkit that scans each
running process for applications that may circumvent copyright
protection.  This rootkit runs independent of the CD you're listening
to and can not be shut off.  The files are embedded into the operating
system and hidden from view and with no uninstaller making it quite
difficult to remove.

See:
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html
http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/sony_raids_hack.html