[Dshield] Wired on the Sony Rootkit-gate: "The cover-up is the crime"

Martin Forest martin at forest.gen.nz
Thu Nov 3 01:13:45 GMT 2005

That is nice.
Can anyone please post the actual US law. I intend to send that with a
warning to some of Sonys large resellers. :) If they continue to sell
after the warning, we can go after the resellers.... :)

/martin

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 12:19:42 +1300, Fergie <fergdawg at netzero.net> wrote:

> Good point.
>
> [snip]
>
> Sony may even have committed a crime under the U.S. Computer Fraud and
> Abuse Act, which can carry fines and prison terms for anyone who
> "knowingly causes the transmission of a program ... and as a result of
> such conduct, intentionally causes damage, without authorization, to a
> protected computer." Corrupting Windows so it misreports the contents of
> a hard drive sounds a lot like "damage," and the click-wrap license
> agreement on the Sony disk amounts to pretty thin "authorization" --
> disclosing only that "this CD will automatically install a small
> proprietary software program ... intended to protect the audio files
> embodied on the CD."
>
> [snip]
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/rants/0,2350,69467,00.html
>
> - ferg
>

> --
> "Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
>  Engineering Architecture for the Internet
>  fergdawg at netzero.net or fergdawg at sbcglobal.net
>  ferg's tech blog: http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/

If you take copy protection to far, the only customers you will have are
the ones that intend to sell illegal copies of your work. By: Martin Forest
Warning: DRM/BMG protected CD’s are likely to infect you with a Rootkit.