[Dshield] SPF

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Thu Nov 3 02:38:38 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 17:14 -0500, Paul Marsh wrote:
> I was reading Mark Minasi's monthly newsletter
> http://www.minasi.com/thismonth.htm, always a good read.  This month he
> covers the topic of SPF Sender Protection Framework as it relates to
> reducing spam.  To be honest I've never heard of it but it looks like it
> could help reduce spam for the time being?  I also noticed some key
> domains are already using SPF.  What's the general consensus regarding
> SPF?

It appears that it does not have an effect on spam (other than that
spammers were adopting and confirming to SPF faster than anyone else),
and early adopters are actually starting to remove SPF again as its
yield-to-pain ratio is dipping more into the pain part.

I suggest you browse archives of mail lists like NANOG for some
interesting perspectives on the whole SPF and SenderID thing. I for one
am glad I didn't spend time on implementing it and having to deal with
its headaches. And I doubt I ever will.

Cheers,
Frank