[Dshield] Sony removes rootkit

jayjwa jayjwa at atr2.ath.cx
Thu Nov 3 20:28:24 GMT 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, David Taylor wrote:

-> http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/#00000695

I love this part:

"If you want to remove the software from your computer, we still recommend
that you contact Sony BMG using their web form and ask for permission to
uninstall it."

Contact Sony and *ask them" permission to remove something from *my* computer?
Something that was never accurately divulged in the first place? Am I the only
one that takes offense at that?

And while I'm on this note, it seems that F-Secure has known about the Sony
DRM issue since the "30th of September", but decided not to go public with the
info... Thanks, guys. It makes me wonder how long they let go before they
annouce about new-found viruses. They seemed to change their mind quickly
enough when Sysinternals told the full story in detail.

--
    / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __ mail me for my *
   / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /  *  email address.