[Dshield] Interesting Zombie Data Graphs

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 6 15:52:39 GMT 2005

--- Deb Hale <haled at pionet.net> wrote:

> Humm!  Comcast - imagine that.  They have to be the
> most loosely run company
> ever.  As a matter of fact I think they encourage
> this type of activity.
> IMHO - if there is one to avoid doing business with
> it is comcast.
>
> Deb

Well, I'm not sure that's entirely fair, Deb...it's
true that all of the large service providers have a
laissez-faire attitude towards the security of their
end-users, but things are starting to pick up.  Lots
of broadband providers have links on their websites to
get free firewalls (ZoneAlarm).  It would be really
nice if the big guys (Cox, Comcast, etc.) would ensure
that their users were "clean" before connecting them.
We are moving at the speed of bureaucracy here, but I
think it will improve soon.

What gets me is that although Comcast must have
millions of users, and although I'm sure they're
moving many, many terabytes of data each day, it is
not really a difficult problem to identify zombies.  A
cluster analysis or nodal analysis or application of
the apriori algorithm would reveal much, I think; and
it's not like Comcast couldn't afford some beefy
servers to process the data.  There just doesn't seem
to be much interest, though...

Regards,

Pete