[Dshield] Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Fa r

Don Jackson dwjackson at bcbsal.org
Mon Nov 7 14:41:13 GMT 2005

Is there a quick way to spot whether a machine has had this installed
on it?

1) The presence of ariel.sys?
2) A registry key?

We have about 4000 PCs to scan, now that we've decided it should
be removed.  Does Sony, or anyone else, offer a removal tool
where employees (non-owners) of the PCs have installed it on
the company's (owner's) PC?  I can't call Sony for every workstation.

I never heard the response to a previous post.  Our situation might
be mitigated if the user needs administrative rights to install the
Sony rootkit.  However, a fair number of users have local admin rights
(Don't bother, I've heard it all before. Heck, I've said it all
before).

Thanks,
Don J.

>>> haled at pionet.net 11/3/2005 9:04 AM >>>
Agreed. One time having to deal with a machine that has been badly
infected
with this type of CR.. To realize that it should at the least be
banned. I
would like to see it become illegal. Of course then I would have to
find a
new career.

Deb